Author Topic: DW FSA Lee-class Airships  (Read 2804 times)

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 63
    • View Profile
DW FSA Lee-class Airships
« on: July 07, 2013, 09:26:35 pm »
Those of you who have gamed with me know that I've had these airships for a couple of years now and never got around to painting them.  Well, I've FINALLY painted them up.

Formation flying:

Comments and constructive criticism are always welcome.  Enjoy the pics!
"Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six."--Commander Adama

Fracas

• Lieutenant Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 33
    • View Profile
    • Warmancer
Re: DW FSA Lee-class Airships
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2013, 12:39:55 pm »
Nice!

These airships are among the reasons I am starting fsa
Firestorm: Aquan, Directorate, Retholza, Hawker (FsA)/ Terran (FsPf), RSN (FsA)/ Dindrenzi (FsPf)
DW: EotBS, FSA, PLC.
Warmaster: Kislev, Khemri, Dwarves,
BFG: Pacification Fleet (IN), Tau Expeditionary (SG), Battlefleet (Chaos), Kher-Ys Corsairs, Crusade Fleet (IN),
LotR: Khand, Gondor, Mordor

Camthalion

• Lieutenant J.G.
  • Number of Times Thanked: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2013, 05:56:20 pm »
They look great. 

Brigman

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2013, 02:18:57 pm »
Amazing work - what game are these for?  They look steampunktastic! :)

Andrewchristlieb

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2013, 06:17:16 pm »

Dystopian Wars
I don't make the rules, I just think them up and write them down.

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2013, 10:21:56 pm »

Yes, these are for Dystopian Wars, which is a steampunk-themed miniatures wargame from Spartan Games.  It's set in the early 1870s, and the world is at war.  At this point, there are several main national navies/armies (the started out as naval- and aerial-based, but there is now a ground component as well) and many alliance nations.  These models are Lee-class medium airships for the Federated States of America (FSA).

It's a great game and easy to learn--not sure where you are located, but if you're anywhere near the Fredericksburg, Virginia area there are several Dystopian Wars players who play at Game Vault who I'm sure would be happy to play an introductory game with you.  Or, if you're in the Denver or Colorado Springs areas in Colorado, I'd be happy to show you myself!

Last Rites

• Lieutenant Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2013, 09:16:46 pm »
Is it just me, or did you vary the heights of the flight stands?
"Without destruction there can be no creation"

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2013, 07:20:56 pm »
Is it just me, or did you vary the heights of the flight stands?

You are correct, I did in fact cut the flight stands to varying heights (or lengths, depending on your perspective).  I've done this for most of my flying models; I find that it makes them a little easier to handle on the board, since all the models aren't knocking into each other (these airships especially have a tendency to spin around on their flight stands like tops--something easily fixed with some superglue and magnets, but I'm just too lazy/forgetful to do it).  But primarily it's for effect--makes them look a little different, and maybe just a tad more realistic.

I did the same thing for my French cruisers (the Toulon-class, from the naval boxed set).  They are surface skimmers, and yet the flight stands they come with are standard height.  If they are surface skimmers, shouldn't they be just above the surface?  So I trimmed those flight stands down considerably, to the point that the bottom of the cruisers' hulls is about a quarter of an inch above the top of the flight stand.  I'll eventually do the same with the Chinese Dun-class bastions and the dreadnaught, as they are all surface skimmers as well.

The new FSA New Orleans-class large airship has the Low Level MAR, meaning that it can drop down to basically surface skimmer altitudes (it has to do this in order to effect repairs on surface vessels/armored vehicles).  I'll likely trim down a large flyer flight stand (or make a custom low-level flight stand with some spare regular flight stands I have) so that it will actually BE lower on the table when using this MAR.

It's pretty simple--I cut the flight stands using a sprue clipper.  It doesn't always give me an even surface on the top, but I can always sand it to level it out.  Be advised, though, if you use this method, the other part of the stand will take off like a bullet once you cut through it.  I supposed you could use a small saw, but that takes longer and makes dust.

Andrewchristlieb

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2013, 08:20:19 pm »
I did the samething with my FA. Ive got the frigates pretty low at about half standard length, cruisers a bit higher at three quarter length, the dread fully extended. I actually found it really simple to score the rods with an exacto blade and snap them off. On the three quarter rods I did have to put the rod into the base (short end first) just up to my score line for leverage but they popped right off and Ive only had a couple that didnt break clean and needed cleaning up.
I don't make the rules, I just think them up and write them down.