Author Topic: Deep Wars: Fortune Hunters  (Read 3055 times)

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 63
    • View Profile
Deep Wars: Fortune Hunters
« on: March 16, 2014, 09:07:12 pm »
I only have one model from the starter set finished so far, so I'll add more pics below as they're finished.

This is the Heavy Support Trooper from the Fortune Hunters faction.  The model is about the size of a Space Marine.  The figure and the base are metal.

Comments and constructive criticisms are welcome.  Thanks for looking, and watch this thread for more pictures of completed models!
"Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six."--Commander Adama

MadDrB

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 2
  • "Beat to Quarters!
    • View Profile
Re: Deep Wars: Fortune Hunters
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2014, 11:35:19 am »
The helmet looks like a tarnished bronze while the rest of the suit looks silver.  I wonder why you didn't go with bronze for the whole suit?

I like the green tubing--much more interesting than black.  But I'm always a proponent of a little green on figures to catch the eye.  Did you prime in white or another color?

The base looks fantastic--did that come with the model?  I'm extremely impressed if you sculpted that yourself.

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2014, 08:03:46 pm »
The helmet/head area on most of the Fortune Hunters models carries a higher armor rating than the body, so I wanted to show that it was made of a different or reinforced material.  Plus, I like the overall look of the silver rather than the bronze.  :)

The model was primed in Citadel's Fortress Gray, then I used Vallejo's Oily Steel over that as a base, then a complete black ink wash, then drybrushed Oily Steel.  The backpack--and it's hard to tell from the pics--was based in Vallejo's Old Bronze (I think that's what it was called), then completely washed in black ink, then drybrushed with Oily Steel.

Glad you like the green hoses--that was done on a whim.  The model needed some color.  :)

As for the base...sorry to disappoint, but yes, it did come with the model.  I did not sculpt it.  I did, however, paint it, and I'm mostly happy with how it turned out.  Wish it was a little whiter--might drybrush white over the next one to see how that looks.  The ocean floor, as you know, is incredibly varied in how it looks.  White sand around places like Hawaii and the Caribbean, dark rocks in other places.  But painting the coral and the starfish were fun, and I liked using them as an excuse to add more overall color to the figure.

Thanks for the feedback!

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 189
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2014, 07:50:51 pm »
Very nice looking mini! I like how you did the front glass of the diving helmet. Have you considered the use of GW's new verdigris technical paint? I bet some of that on the helmet and backpack would look pretty neat.

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2014, 01:14:05 pm »
Thanks Ruckdog!  The helmet faceplate is Citadel Enchanted blue, with Citadel Icy Blue drybrushed in the center. I've started using the same technique for windows on my Dystopian Wars ships as well--I think it gives the glass a little depth.

I didn't know about the verdigris technical paint...are you talking about the Nihilakh Oxide?  Took at look at GW's site, I like the effect.  Might pick some of that up and see how it looks on the mini.  Thanks for the tip!

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2014, 08:16:00 pm »
Nihilakh Oxide...That's the one! ;)

I've been thinking of trying it on some of my DW minis.

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2014, 10:49:28 pm »
Thanks for the kind words all!

Next up:  the Breaching Mech.

In Deep Wars, there are some scenarios that require your warband to break into submerged vessels.  The Breaching Mech has the ability to rip its way through ship hulls--sort of like an underwater "Jack" from the Gears of War video games.

The claw makes a great melee combat weapon.  The mech also has a projectile weapon and torpedoes.

I also tried using Citadel's Nihilakh Oxide for weathering on the mech.  Not really sure how I feel about it, so I'm open to comments.

Thanks for looking!

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2014, 06:24:50 pm »
Nice! I think the weathering came out alright. It's hard to tell in the pictures, but it looks like you kept it on the "steel" portions of the model, correct? I think it would look better on the "bronze" portions, like those thrusters at the bottom of the mech.

MadDrB

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 2
  • "Beat to Quarters!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2014, 08:02:58 pm »
This is why I haven't felt inspired to paint more of my Dystopian Legions models--there isn't anything nautical about any of them!

But these guys are looking good.  I want an excuse to paint colorful starfish on my model bases....

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2014, 10:22:22 pm »
Thanks guys!

Ruckdog--most of the oxide paint went on the steel portion, yes.  Not much on the bronze portion.  I used it pretty sparingly overall, because I wasn't sure how it would look.  I added a hit to the heavy dive trooper as well, although you can't really see it in the picture.  I might do other versions of these later, and add the paint a little heavier.

MadDrB--true, but Dystopian Legions is a REALLY fun game.  I just ordered a complete armored infantry section for my FSA forces, and two heavy machine gun teams.  Getting tired of having my ears boxed by the Prussian player...I'll probably spring for a second faction later this year.  I was thinking possibly the Brits, but I might pick up the French too.

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2014, 12:10:53 am »
Next up:  the Armored Dive Soldier.  Would've finished these models earlier, but Titanfall was FINALLY released on the Xbox 360 a couple weeks ago, so...

The Fortune Hunters starter set only includes one of these models, so I ordered a second to add a little firepower to my warband.

I think these guys are the "standard infantry" for the Fortune Hunters.  Some size comparisons with other faction models:

The warband so far:

There are still two more models to be painted to round out the starter set, so watch this thread for more updates.

Thanks for looking!
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 12:15:40 am by Landlubber »

Last Rites

• Lieutenant Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2014, 07:43:21 am »
Would've finished these models earlier, but Titanfall was FINALLY released on the Xbox 360 a couple weeks ago, so...

Seriously, Titanfall has soaked up the little bits of free time I have had recently. Doesn't bode well for the 1/2 ton of resin i have laying round...

Cool looking game, and great paint job on the minis! Be fun to check out a demo of this game sometime.
"Without destruction there can be no creation"

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2014, 08:05:37 pm »
These minis are looking very impressive Landlubber! The little spot-highlights of color really set them off and make for an interesting paint job. Can't wait to see the whole set painted.

PS -  Titainfall looks fabulous! I'm trying to stay away; with a move coming up, I can ill-afford to get sucked into it right now ;).

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2014, 11:39:28 am »
Been meaning to get more pictures up here for a bit. Here is Marie du Chatelet, Scientist of the Ethers:

I actually finished Marie a few months ago, but Real Life and other gaming endeavors have kept me from remembering to post pictures. I also haven't played much Deep Wars since the summer, due to other gaming commitments. Need to rectify that pronto...

Marie du Chatelet is a scientist, which means she has the ability to salvage, activate, and use ether technology that the warband encounters. She can also repair damaged items up to a certain complexity level, such as weapons and gear carried by other members of the crew. Marie's role and abilities speak more to the RPG side of Deep Wars, as warbands can carry salvaged tech items with them from scenario to scenario in a campaign.

Size comparisons:

And here's the whole crew so far:

Thanks for looking!

« Last Edit: November 09, 2014, 11:59:58 am by Landlubber »