Author Topic: First All-Air Battle: FSA vs CoA  (Read 3941 times)

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 63
    • View Profile
First All-Air Battle: FSA vs CoA
« on: October 10, 2012, 11:49:57 pm »
So I met my friend Ken this evening for a little DW, and we decided to play an all-aerial game.  We each fielded a Sky Fortress, a large flyer, a squadron of medium flyers, and two squadrons of tiny flyers (1 fighter squadron & 1 dive bomber squadron for me, 2 fighter squadrons for him).

On paper, FSA flyers are pretty delicate compared to the CoA flyers.  All of his ships had shield generators, and none of my FSA flyers carry generators of any type.  Plus, FSA flyers have a lot of rocket AD, but this is usually largely wasted on Covenant ships due to having to get through AA fire AND shields.

A brief synopsis on how it went down:

Turn 1 saw some jockeying for position-- FSA medium, large, and massive flyers have decent broadsides in RB1 & 2, so I was trying to line up some long-range rocket shots while setting up some broadside opportunities in Turn 2.  Lucky rocket AD on my part, and bad AA and shield dice on Ken's part saw his Daedelus large flyer take a fusion leak crit, and my Valley-class large flyer took a nav lock crit.  Most of the other ships got out of Turn 1 unscathed.

Turn 2 saw both large flyers go down in flames, one right after the other.  The Valley fell prey to his medium flyers, and I cannot remember which of my ships took down the Daedelus.  He took some light damage to his medium flyers, and I did as well.

Turn 3 was the kicker.  I got initiative and realized that 1), I had almost 20 AP on my Lee scout ships; 2), I could easily get within boarding range of his perfectly healthy sky fortress; and 3), none of his ships were close enough to harass my Lee's if I failed the boarding assault.  Well, no guts, no air medal, as the saying goes, so a-boarding we went.  My 18 AP easily overpowered his marines, and I took his sky fortress as a prize.

Turns 4, 5, and 6 saw him kill off one of my Lee's, and knock 4 HP off my sky fortress.  He still had all 4 of his medium flyers left, although I whittled their HP down somewhat.

FSA won the day on points--most coming from the prized sky fortress.  I will admit up front that my AA gunners definitely ate their Wheaties this morning.  Ken had some bad dice rolls at a few critical junctures.  But I will say that his medium flyers were almost impossible to damage. 

A few observations on playing an all-air game:

1.  Nothing blocks line of sight, which works both ways (we didn't have any terrain on the board).

2.  Don't forget your defensive AA.  Every target is an aerial vehicle; if it rolls up on you in RB1 to give you a full broadside, you get defensive AA first.  This messed up attack plans for both of us.

3.  Tiny flyers aren't as scary against other flyers.  Can't use torpedo bombers, and dive bombers hit medium-class and above only on 5's, not 3's.  We did allow fighters to conduct AA attacks against any aerial vehicles on the board--couldn't find anything in the rule book saying that you can't use tiny flyer fighters that way.  This was new for me, as I had only ever used them against other tiny flyer formations.  For the FSA, I had 10 AD of AA for a squadron of fighters.  Not too shabby.

Looking forward to hearing about any other all-air engagements.  Thanks for reading!
"Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six."--Commander Adama

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 189
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
Re: First All-Air Battle: FSA vs CoA
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2012, 08:35:23 am »
Sounds like a fierce battle! Those were some good observations, especially on the TFT. Did you run into any fuel problems due to making all of those AA attacks? Also, did you get any pictures? I'm considering re-posting this on the blog 8).

MajorMcNicol

• Lieutenant
  • Number of Times Thanked: 2
  • Regret #9
    • View Profile
    • Andy G. and Ian C.
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2012, 11:09:56 am »
Thanks for the battle report!  As far as I know, I think you're correct that fighters can attack any air units.
http://andygomez.wordpress.com/
UPDATED Canons de Zibeline DW Merc Company rules: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_gsuBDmdvmLNFduUHRWMEtVbTA/view?usp=sharing

Check out my brother's novel on Amazon: Out From the Chasm by Keenan Cross

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2012, 07:57:08 pm »
MajMcnicol--thanks for the validation.  I thought we were using them correctly, but it was a situation we hadn't encountered before.

Ruckdog--it was a fierce fight!  I really thought Ken would beat me like a rented mule, but as I mentioned before, I had some lucky dice rolls and Ken had some unlucky dice rolls, both at critical junctures.  Will post some pics soon.

I only ran into one issue with my tiny flyers.  After my dive bombers made their run and the fighters had done a few strafing runs, I brought both squadrons back to land for rearming/refueling (the FSA sky fortress can accommodate 2 squadrons at the same time).  Both squadrons were still at full strength.  Unfortunately, by the time I had the opportunity to relaunch them, the fight had gotten pretty close--Ken's only remaining squadron, his medium flyers (which I just couldn't shoot down), had closed into RB1 of my sky fortress.  You can't launch flyers AND shoot in the same turn, and I didn't want to waste any broadside opportunities, so they stayed on the carrier for the remainder of the game.

If I run another all-aerial game, I think it would be cool to run 3-4 squadrons of fighters.  The FSA small flyers at full squadron strength have 10 AD, same as a full squadron of FSA fighters--and fighters have no point value, and can move farther.  Maybe running that many fighters, you'd have to enact a house rule and assign points to them.

I have to say, after thinking more about it--I got VERY lucky with the fusion leak crit on Ken's Daedelus in Turn 1.  If I hadn't taken it down so quickly, the game would have gone very differently.  That was a lucky rocket dice roll for me, and unlucky shield/AA rolls for Ken.  I wasn't surprised, though, that the Valley went down so soon.  I wouldn't mind running TWO Valleys in a game like that.  Also, I think it would help me to run some John Henrys--they would give me good gunnery in RB3 & 4 without relying solely on rockets at those ranges.

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2012, 08:27:53 pm »
Here are some pics:

End of Turn 2---both large flyers down.

Different angle.

Closing on the FSA Savannah-class Sky Fortress.

Going for broke--Savannah on fire, Ken's flyers survived my broadsides, and he's going after my Lee's.

Endgame.

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2012, 11:14:43 am »
Neat looking pictures! If you are okay with it, I'd definitely like to put this batrep up on the blog.

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2012, 10:56:10 pm »
No problem!  I hope to play more aerial battles in the future, being a big fan of airships.  I think I'd like to put together my own Prussian air fleet---might give that a try at some point.

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2012, 10:04:41 am »
That would be cool! I've got the models for that fleet, actually, though the Jaegers are still bare metal. I also have the models for an all-air French fleet, but just about none of them are painted :P. When J get them ready, maybe we can do an all-air battle ourselves. I'm really interested to see how similar this type of game feels to Firestorm Armada; the movement and LOS is all about the same!

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2012, 07:49:46 pm »
Well, we could give that a shot when we meet on the 21st.  I've got enough FSA air models, and that would give me an excuse to to pick up a few more.  But I'll be bringing all my FSA stuff, so we can decide when we get there.

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2012, 12:48:27 pm »

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2012, 07:39:47 pm »
Thanks Andy!

don_mondo

• Ensign
  • Number of Times Thanked: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2012, 10:47:49 am »

3.  Tiny flyers aren't as scary against other flyers.  dive bombers hit medium-class and above only on 5's, not 3's.

Not sure about this. The Spartan forum notes that tf torpedoes/bombs still hit a submerged target on a 3+ as opposed to needing a 6. I'm wondering if the same would apply to dive bombers vs Medium+ flying?

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2012, 06:38:25 pm »
Maybe.  Page 64 says tiny flyer dive bombers hit large & capital class flyers on 5's or 6's.  So I guess any other class would get hit on 3's and higher.  I think I only used my dive bombers against his large flyer, though.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2012, 09:00:52 pm by Landlubber »

don_mondo

• Ensign
  • Number of Times Thanked: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2012, 08:36:50 am »
Ahh, I had missed that line. Thanks.