Author Topic: Blog Discussion: Line Ahead: What Makes a Naval Game?  (Read 1523 times)

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 189
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
Blog Discussion: Line Ahead: What Makes a Naval Game?
« on: February 24, 2013, 12:36:00 pm »
This is the official discussion thread for the following blog post:

http://www.manbattlestations.com/blog/2013/02/24/line-ahead-what-makes-a-naval-game/

MadDrB

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 2
  • "Beat to Quarters!
    • View Profile
Re: Blog Discussion: Line Ahead: What Makes a Naval Game?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2013, 07:59:09 am »
This would make a neat little pamphlet to have available with my demo games--particularly the concise differences between typical miniature games and naval games.  I have plenty of gamers stop by a demo table, look at the models, and then move on, not interested in playing with toy boats without giving it a chance.

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2013, 10:00:23 am »
You know, that it not such a bad idea! To be honest, that hadn't occured to me. I think that it would be worthwhile to brainstorm a bit here before coming up with a finalized draft, though. I'm sure that there are some aspects of naval gaming I didn't touch on, or others that might be expanded. Plus, we could probably punch up the writing a little bit to make it "pop" more ;).

Pendrake

• Lieutenant J.G.
  • Number of Times Thanked: 1
    • View Profile
    • Pendrakes Blogspot
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2013, 03:14:03 pm »
That was an interesting pair of blog posts Ruckdog. I had a pleasant (but unsuccessful) few minutes trying to ID the two battleships in the image used on the blog. I wondered if it might be USS Nevada trailed by either USS Texas or USS New York but I could not find anything like hard evidence. (But I rather miss the days when all battleships closely resembled each other.) The photo looks like it was taken post-Tripod Masts but pre-Radar, maybe late 30s?

Do you know which ships those are?

I had a couple of thoughts about the essays. I have played a set of naval wargame rules where the smallest game element was a soldier rather than a ship. You can see an example from that very rules set here on the cover of the book that contained the rules:

The author used 15mm soldiers and scratch built ships. To be fair each soldier represented a squad of javelin guys or archers although the Captain figure might perhaps have been an individual. When I created my own set to try the rules I used 1/72 plastics for soldiers and a slightly modified design for the ships.

So, smallest element in a naval game: usually a small ship, but not always.

The other thought I had was that Space Navy games are (or should be) a different animal. But it depends on the way the rules for the space game are written, some space battle games are* just a naval game with a starry backdrop. (*disappointingly so...)

In a naval game you can't roll ship to expose a fresh, undamaged batch of turrets. Nor can you pivot using attitude jets to bring your spinal weapon mount to bear. But there is no reason (other than poor rules) you could not do such things when your ship is sitting in vacuum. Water constrains the facing, maneuvering and positioning of a ship in ways that vacuum does not. A good set of space battle rules would high-light that difference.

In most space battle games ships don't block line of sight. Usually this is the effect of  representing the vast distances and the capability to maneuver in 3D. In naval games a battleship usually blocks line-of-sight.
1:1200 - One inch equals One Hundred feet...

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2013, 09:05:17 pm »
Excellent points, Pendrake! I had thought about including a few of them in the write up, maybe I should have.  With infantry/human models in naval games, that seems to work well in large-scale naval games. I've seen some very impressive 15mm and 28mm age of sail models!

As for the pic, it's one from the Naval Historical Center's website. The ship in the foreground is the USS Idaho, while the background ship is the USS Texas. Here is the original link:

http://www.history.navy.mil/photos/images/h73000/h73834.jpg