Author Topic: MBS Podcast Episode 87: Star Wars Armada Cancellation Reaction  (Read 956 times)

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 189
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!

Kelly

• Lieutenant Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 56
    • View Profile
Re: MBS Podcast Episode 87: Star Wars Armada Cancellation Reaction
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2024, 07:29:02 pm »
Glad to have another episode, just sad that it was under these circumstances...

Really good points, especially on the component issues going forward.  There are solid alternatives and variants available for all of the current Armada ship releases (except for maybe the SSD) but I imagine the cards and dice are going to present the greatest issues in the years to come.
If my wife asks, I only spent half as much as I wanted to...

Kelly

• Lieutenant Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 56
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2024, 12:17:01 am »
There are solid alternatives and variants available for all of the current Armada ship releases (except for maybe the SSD) but I imagine the cards and dice are going to present the greatest issues in the years to come.

Well, with the bankruptcy of Shapeways being announced this week the majority of alternatives I was aware of for Armada ships will be scarcer at least for the time being.  The site is still operating 3 days into the notice, but with noticeable delays and search errors, and I would not trust the two week production turnaround being quoted now.

The chapter of bankruptcy requested was for liquidation, not for restructuring, so Shapeways will not be operating at some point in the future, after questions of ownership and prior asset sales have been resolved, which means the largest distributor of third party printing services will no longer be available for the largest suppliers of Armada designs.  Will those models be available from another printing service... I would say yes, but not for some time and not at the price or quality of consistency they were from Shapeways.
If my wife asks, I only spent half as much as I wanted to...

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 189
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2024, 05:11:23 pm »
The good news is that a lot of the designs for Armada are still available in STL form, or in full prints from Etsy shops. To be honest, I'm not overly shocked that Shapeways went under, though it did happen faster than I thought.