Poll

How would you improve MBS?

It's fine the way it is!
2 (20%)
Needs more blog posts.
2 (20%)
The board structure needs better organization.
0 (0%)
New Banners/Logos
2 (20%)
More contests!
2 (20%)
A "General Discussion" (ie, non-gaming) Section
1 (10%)
A "Other Games" (ie, non-naval games) Section
1 (10%)
Other (please specify)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Author Topic: The Man Battlestations Improvement Poll  (Read 1847 times)

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 189
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
The Man Battlestations Improvement Poll
« on: June 07, 2014, 10:03:53 pm »
Okay! In a shameless bid to pick all of your brains, I'm opening up a poll for things you would like to see happen  here at MBS. The poll is set up so that you can vote for as many of the options as you would like, so don't feel constrained to just one! Likewise, feel free to amplify your vote by posting below. Thanks in advance for helping to make this forum the best it can be!

Last Rites

• Lieutenant Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 0
    • View Profile
Re: The Man Battlestations Improvement Poll
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2014, 02:12:47 pm »
No shame, Ruck. I highly enjoy MBS! My desision to really stick with gaming, and naval in particular, is very much rooted in the community this site has been able to provide. Finding and connecting with similar and varied people, who enjoy the same games I do is pretty energizing. Can't express how often I've nearly been busted, at work, combing the various topics posted here. Often times discussing it offline with friends in our local group. While I can't afford to dip into each of the games posted, it is very interesting to hear about what everyone has going on.

As I see it, the site is fine the way it is now. However there is one element that I think could be expanded on. MBS hooked my attention first with the blog post half. I don't know what the process is, but seeing a tad bit of flash there would be nice as a "feed" of sorts. Perhaps touching on discussions going on within the forum. Just my thoughts, and I know very much how time is a luxury.  :-[

Thanks, once again for creating this place for us to dock ship and share stories. Thanks also, for reaching out to the community for ideas on helping MBS grow.
"Without destruction there can be no creation"

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 63
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2014, 08:14:50 pm »
I think the site does fine as is.  Only real change I would make is the banners--maybe incorporate pics from the painting contests.

To be honest, I rarely look at the blog.  I'm more interested in the discussion boards, and the topics/discussions therein. 

I noticed one of the options in the poll was for a "non-naval wargaming" section to be added.  Much as I would like to post my Dystopian Legions pictures and battle reports, the thing that sets MBS apart (to me) is that it is naval-focused.  I think we sail pretty close to the wind with things like X-Wing (I love it when a pun comes together), but the overall naval nature of MBS is it's defining characteristic.  Just about every other wargaming forum out there caters to all genres of gaming, and I don't want to see MBS get overrun with Warhammer, Warmachine, and Flames of War players/discussions.  Not that those aren't good games, and not that the players aren't good people, but...I feel that there are more ground-combat players out there than there are naval combat, so MBS is catering to a unique set of gamers.

Just my $0.02.  I think we have a good thing going here, and I'm happy to be a part of it!
« Last Edit: June 08, 2014, 08:16:39 pm by Landlubber »
"Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six."--Commander Adama

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2014, 12:12:10 pm »
Thanks for all the feedback, guys! Keep it coming, please.

Landlubber, I hear what you are saying about having a general discussion area, and I certainly share your concerns. However, I figured I would float the idea to see how much interest there might be in it!

Last Rites, I agree that the blog has been sadly neglected as of late. I've been working to overcome that the last couple of weeks, with my series on the new version of the DW rules. This is one area I'm definitely trying to focus on for improvements!

Creon

• Lieutenant
  • Number of Times Thanked: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2014, 04:04:38 pm »
More activity would be nice.  Discussions of fleet compositions and tactics would be helpful, for those of us haven't played against every fleet

markymark1970

• Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2014, 11:11:47 am »
I'm really enjoying the site (thanks Landlubber)!  As the CO group gets into more scheduled and structured games of FA and DW (and maybe some FT/BFG/B5W), I'm sure I'll have more insights (at least to me) and (more often dumb than not) questions to ask.

And now that I'm actually on a mini assembly streak, I'm hoping that it will move into painting and that I can share the fruits of that particular labor with the group.

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2014, 07:34:55 pm »
Glad you are enjoying the site! I've noticed a couple of threads popping up lately that are asking to buy/sell/trade minis...I was thinking a separate sub-forum for a Marketplace might be a good idea, so that threads such as these can be concentrated in one spot. Thoughts?

markymark1970

• Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2014, 09:17:54 am »
Swell idea.