Author Topic: Planetfall  (Read 6326 times)

Andrewchristlieb

• Lieutenant
  • Number of Times Thanked: 0
    • View Profile
Planetfall
« on: September 09, 2014, 10:26:45 pm »
Planetfall preorder dropped today. Two player Aquan and Directorate set which will be matching the next two player box for Firestorm Armada. There are also Works Raptor and Terquai helix's up for preorder which will complement the WR and Terquai set to be included in the Firestorm set!

http://shop.spartangames.co.uk/SearchResults.asp?Cat=1863
I don't make the rules, I just think them up and write them down.

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 63
    • View Profile
Re: Planetfall
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2014, 10:32:36 pm »
Let the invasion begin.
"Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six."--Commander Adama

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 189
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2014, 11:59:22 am »
Interesting looking models! I'm wondering if the rules for these will bear any resemblance to the Studio Sparta planetfall stuff that came out a couple years back.

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2014, 07:42:44 pm »
Holy hot potato!

Have you seen the sweet combo deals Spartan is putting together for the launch? I'm drooling over the Platinum edition:

http://shop.spartangames.co.uk/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=PFMB03

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2014, 11:32:29 pm »
Yeah, that ain't bad.  I really don't see myself skipping Planetfall, but it may be a bit before I jump in.  I am, however, planning to grab the Legions boxed set in November.  Maybe I can get some the Denver Area Spartan Gamers into it...

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2014, 11:36:01 am »
Just got this in my email today:

Hello,

Thank you for choosing the pre-order Planetfall launch products with the Spartan Games Online Store. Due to overwhelming demand and an unexpected delay with a printed material, we will not be able to ship these orders from October 22nd as originally intended. We will be working hard to ensure these products are delivered as quickly as possible, and anticipate that mail orders will begin shipping around a week after the aforementioned date.If you have any questions regarding your order please e-mail dispatch@spartangames.co.uk. We apologise for any inconvenience this delay may cause and thank you for your patience in the meantime. We will keep you updated with further developments.

Regards,
Ricky

So, disappointing news, obviously, though it is good to see the demand seems to be high! Fortunately, the delay doesn't seem like it will be too long.
Spartan Games

Stephan

• Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2014, 11:06:50 am »
For those in Colorado, Gamer's Haven has a stack of Planetfall box sets as well as the Works Raptor and Terquai support helix boxes.  I picked mine up yesterday and started perusing the rules last night.  They have the Black, Blue, Red d6 mechanic we've seen elsewhere.  Movement looks like it'll be really simple for most things.  The only models that have to use a turning template are those with the Lumbering MAR.  I haven't had a chance to look at the army lists yet, but the phrasing in the rulebook made it sound like only big stuff (Leviathans, maybe heavy tanks) would have that MAR.  I'll hopefully have time to look through the materials in more detail tonight and will type up my thoughts.

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2014, 04:47:23 pm »
I'd be up for a test game if you'd like. I'm tied up with the X-Wing league this Thursday night, but I could do a game sometime next week. I'm very interested to see how it plays, although I'll likely wait until the RSN ground forces come out to buy into the game.

Of course, I say that now...without having seen the models in person....I might get pulled in anyway. I can already here the justifications in my mind..."Well, the RSN and Directorate ARE both Zenian...so...."

Stephan

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2014, 05:59:46 pm »
I don't know if I'll be able to get in a game next week, but I'm planning to work on them on the 16th for painting day, so you ogle them all you want.  :)

Quickdraw

• Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2014, 09:35:42 pm »
Stephan, anytime you want to get it on the table I'd like to see how it goes. You just name the day.  But I too am going to be waiting for the other races. Specifically I'll want to pick up the Terrans after they're available for general purpose.

Stephan

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2014, 12:41:48 pm »
It may be Dec before I'm in a position to play Planetfall between work, vacation, and assembly of models, but I'll let you know if I'm ready before.

Here's some more findings from my review of the rulebook.

Activation:
It's still alternating squadron-by-squadron activation BUT it is also Helix-by-Helix.  Once a player activates a squadron/model from a particular Helix, the player must continue to activate squadrons/models from that helix until they have all been activated.  Only then can the player move on to squadrons/models from a different Helix.  So, for example, if I activate a squadron in my Recon Helix, I have to continue activating squadrons from that Helix until they've all been activated before I could activate a squadron from any other helix in my Battle Group.  NOTE:  A Battle Group is composed of a single Core Helix plus all attached Helix's.  According to the rules, players should agree on not only max points but also number of Battle Groups allowed prior to the game.

DR / Hit Points:
These are now combined into a single field on the model's stat card.  Using the Leviathan example from the rulebook, it has a DR of 9+9+9.  This means it has 3 Hit Points (each 9) and it takes 9 successes on a To Hit roll to take down one of those HP.  For comparison, the Aquan Heavy Skimmer has a DR of 6+5+5, and the Dindrenzi Heavy Crawler has a DR of 7+6+6.  In the same order, the mediums are DR 6+5 and DR 7+6, the Lights are both DR 4, and Infantry  are both DR 3.  The Terquai Drones are classed Heavy Infantry and are DR 4.

Ordinance Fire: 
Range is broken into Effective and Long Range, each with their own AD.

Line of Sight is very simple, just any point on firing model's base to any point on target model's base. 
Armored size class can see over the Light class but are blocked by other Armored and Elevated (Leviathans and Buildings).  Light class can see over Armored to shoot at Elevated.  Elevated are only blocked by other Elevated and Flyers never block or have LoS impeded.

Range is measured from the closest point on the furthest firing model's base to the closest point on the closest target model's base.  If a model in the squadon has LoS from all firing models blocked by intervening terrain, then that model can't be damaged by the attack against the squadron.

All AD can Combine provided they either have the same MAR or no MAR.
Once you assemble your AD pool, roll using the Red D6 mechanic.  Overwatch (yes, there's Overwatch!) hits on a 5+, Placed Shots (such as from Focused Fire when remaining stationary) hit on a 3+, and normal Move&Shoot shots hit on a 4+.
Take all your success dice and set them aside. 

Damage is allocated by taking your success dice and, starting with the closest target model, put a number of dice needed to reach that model's DR next to that target.  If the target has more than one HP, repeat this for all HP on the target until the target would be destroyed.  If there are any Hit Dice left over, move on to the next closest model in the squadron and repeat.  If you've done this for all models in the target squadron and still have dice left over, set them to the side, these are Floating Dice. 

If the target squadron has shields, combine all the shield dice for the squadron and roll them using the Red D6 mechanic.  Each shield save takes away a hit die, starting with the Floating Dice pool and then working backwards from the furthest model in the target squadron to the closest. 

Now allocate damage to those models that still have a number of hit dice on them equal to their DRs.

Last, if any damage was done, take a Disorder Check.  I won't go into the modifiers, but basically it's 3D6 using the Red mechanic.  You need a number of successes equal to or greater than the number of damage markers placed on the squadron in that firing phase.  If you pass, nothing happens.  If you fail, place a number of Disorder markers on the squadron equal to the shortfall in your roll (so if you needed 3 successes and only got 1, you'd put 2 Disorder markers on the squadron).  In the end phase, each Disorder marker automatically turns into a Damage marker.  If there are enough Disorder markers on the squadron that it would be destroyed in the End Phase, then the squadron is considered to have Forlorn Hope and they get all kinds of crazy bonuses for the rest of that turn.

Some things to note on shooting, you do get bonuses against the target's DR if you fire from within the target's Flank or Aft arcs.  You have to meet some restrictions like having at over 50% of the firing squadron in that arc, but it can really make maneuver worthwhile.

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2014, 02:07:36 pm »
Very interesting. I'm seeing echoes of both Dystopian Legions (at least the older ruleset, I haven't seen the new rules yet) and Dystopian Wars. Legions uses a similar Effective Range/Long Range mechanic (usually the difference is the dice color), and of course the Disorder procedure looks to be very close to what we have in Dystopian Wars 2.0.

Do you have to set an order of activation at the start of each turn, or are you free to activate the helixes in any order you want?

Stephan

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2014, 04:11:41 pm »
You can activate each Helix in any order that you like, you just can't mix and match squadron activations from different "Helices".

Fracas

• Lieutenant Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 33
    • View Profile
    • Warmancer
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2014, 06:08:32 pm »
Very helpful info
Thanks
Firestorm: Aquan, Directorate, Retholza, Hawker (FsA)/ Terran (FsPf), RSN (FsA)/ Dindrenzi (FsPf)
DW: EotBS, FSA, PLC.
Warmaster: Kislev, Khemri, Dwarves,
BFG: Pacification Fleet (IN), Tau Expeditionary (SG), Battlefleet (Chaos), Kher-Ys Corsairs, Crusade Fleet (IN),
LotR: Khand, Gondor, Mordor

Stephan

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2014, 01:30:37 pm »
Continuing my look into Planetfall....

Close Quarters Battle is pretty cool.  It occurs between the Move and Main Ordinance phases and works just like the Main Ordinance firing with a few notable exceptions.  If you end your movement within 4" of an enemy, you, or your enemy, can initiate a CQB attack.  A unit with a Disorder marker on it CANNOT initiate a CQB.  Two notable differences between CQB and Main Ordinance attacks is that CQB between two squadrons is resolved simultaneously and ignore all protective MARs and Shield saves. 

Sky Drop is definitely a feature everyone will need to get used to.  At the beginning of the game, each player puts down an number of Sky Drop markers, each with a d6 set into it.  The # on the d6 is typically set to 6 but can vary by faction.  The d6 represents the # of d6's you roll to determine deviation distance when a unit is called in from that marker.  The rules on Sky Drop are kind of confusing, but from what I can tell, you can hold back any or all of your units with the Sky Drop MAR and deploy them in this way.  They're held back just like Reserves, but instead of deploying them at the start of a turn, you instead declare that they're activating in the Activation phase and then bring them onto the table and activate them all in one go.  On the turn they deploy, these squadrons remain stationary, but can't go into Overwatch or declare Focused Fire.

You can reduce the value on the Sky Drop marker's d6 by using a Designator attack (assume you've got a model with the Sky Drop Nexus MAR.  This works just like normal shooting and each Hit will reduce the value on the d6 by 1 to a minimum of 1.

Note:  Some factions are apparently big into Sky Drop and some less so.  The Aquan/Terquai force in the Proteus list has access to two Sky Drop Nexus models while the Directorate/WR force has none.