Author Topic: The MBS Firestorm Campaign System  (Read 2247 times)

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 189
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
The MBS Firestorm Campaign System
« on: September 29, 2014, 10:08:17 pm »
So, I'm busily digging into my latest project: Designing a FA campaign system that is loosely based off the BFG one. I've started the ball rolling with a blog post about why I like the BFG campaign system as a starting point:

http://www.manbattlestations.com/blog/2014/09/30/the-battlefleet-gothic-campaign-system/

Here shortly, I'm going to be putting up another post that will discuss how I intend to handle certain issues, such as how I plan on handling the differences between the two games...

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
Re: The MBS Firestorm Campaign System
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2014, 07:36:35 pm »
I've got the next blog post up:

http://www.manbattlestations.com/blog/2014/10/05/firestorm-armada-campaign-system-part-1-differences/

This time, I'm discussing the things I have to accommodate for when converting the BFG campaign rules to FA. So far, it's going well! I'm hoping to have a workable version together in another week or so.

Andrewchristlieb

• Lieutenant
  • Number of Times Thanked: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2014, 12:44:16 am »
I don't know that I would stress the leadership aspect too much. I would look at making a list of 'crew' MARs to replicate some of that and then work with the existing upgrades to create a list of possible refits? Along that same vein, as your Admiral gains renown instead of gaining leadership he could gain bonuses like extra TACs for free, fleet wide bonuses for command checks (heh, leadership), and rerolls (something most BFG fleets got also).
I don't make the rules, I just think them up and write them down.

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2014, 12:05:07 pm »
That is pretty much the direction I'm heading. Actually, at this point I'm planning on rolling crew skills into the crew level, and dropping the refit tables in favor of allowing a player to take listed hardpoint options and upgrades as listed in a model's profile.

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2014, 09:22:27 pm »
Another update!

http://www.manbattlestations.com/blog/2014/10/26/firestorm-armada-campaign-system-part-2-whats-in-a-name/

I'm still working on this project, but my progress has been slowed somewhat by Real Life.

Andrewchristlieb

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2014, 12:14:00 am »
Good stuff there. The Directorate ones are pretty cool and the Terrans of course are pretty fitting. I imagine the Dindrenzi would be very similar to the Terrans actually, but it would be interesting to see them take on a bit of a different approach. Maybe basing their structure off of current Air Force ranks to differentiate them? It's going to drive me crazy, but I swear there is a scifi series that has generals instead of admirals for some reason and I just can't think of it. The alien races will be interesting to see too, I imagine most of them will be pretty difficult given the lack of information on them currently.

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2014, 04:08:53 pm »
The rough draft of my campaign rules are now live! You can get them for download here:

http://www.manbattlestations.com/blog/2014/11/15/firestorm-armada-campaign-system-part-3-version-0-9-ready/

Looking forward to any feedback you might have!

Andrewchristlieb

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2014, 11:32:10 pm »
I looks pretty good! I shared on the Spartan forums to direct some more attention to it also :).

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2014, 05:25:19 pm »
Thanks! I was going to get around to doing the same thing, but it looks like you beat me to it  ;D