Author Topic: The Battlefleet Gothic Thread  (Read 5704 times)

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 189
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
The Battlefleet Gothic Thread
« on: October 05, 2014, 10:50:45 pm »
Working on my BFG to FA campaign project has me getting all nostalgic for BFG! I know several of you out there have played the game at one time or another. Is anyone out there still actively playing?

markymark1970

• Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 15
    • View Profile
Re: The Battlefleet Gothic Thread
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2014, 12:01:11 pm »
I've only played one game of BFG and that was at a con several years ago, which I did enjoy immensely even though I had no idea what I was doing.  There are a few of us in CO that have played before but we've not (yet) done so in our group. 

I'd like to get in a few games and use all them minis I've bought over the years.  Same goes for B5Wars.

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2014, 08:16:14 pm »
That is a common thing I've heard when it comes to BFG...lots of people have fleets that they haven't touched in years. I think it is a testament to the quality of the game that people have held on to the minis over the years. It is compelling enough to overcome the urge to clear out those minis!

Landlubber

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Number of Times Thanked: 63
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2014, 10:20:30 pm »
I've wanted to try BFG for some time, but just have never had the chance.  Really like the look of the ships.
"Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six."--Commander Adama

Quickdraw

• Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2014, 11:00:53 pm »
Years ago I was obsessed with trying out BFG, but never worked it around all those games of Warhammer.
Loved the Imperial Guard ships. I'd like to see it get some table time.

markymark1970

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2014, 11:34:50 pm »
Stephan and I can supply some ships.  Jason can too.  We'll plan a BFG day in the not so distant future.

Andrewchristlieb

• Lieutenant
  • Number of Times Thanked: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2014, 11:38:00 pm »
I still love BFG, my first miniature game! Unfortunately my old group dissolved when GW finally killed the model range :/. Now I just paint them when I have some time in between other projects.   
I don't make the rules, I just think them up and write them down.

markymark1970

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2014, 12:01:46 am »
You can still get stuff on eBay, however some of them go for quite a bit of money.  The Tau and Craftworld Eldar in particular can be costly.  I have seen a Yuriel's Flagship go for over $250.  That cuts into my Spartan budget far too deeply.

Fracas

• Lieutenant Commander
  • Number of Times Thanked: 33
    • View Profile
    • Warmancer
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2014, 07:53:21 am »
Love the game
Have not played in over a year
Firestorm: Aquan, Directorate, Retholza, Hawker (FsA)/ Terran (FsPf), RSN (FsA)/ Dindrenzi (FsPf)
DW: EotBS, FSA, PLC.
Warmaster: Kislev, Khemri, Dwarves,
BFG: Pacification Fleet (IN), Tau Expeditionary (SG), Battlefleet (Chaos), Kher-Ys Corsairs, Crusade Fleet (IN),
LotR: Khand, Gondor, Mordor

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2014, 02:22:36 pm »
I still love BFG, my first miniature game! Unfortunately my old group dissolved when GW finally killed the model range :/. Now I just paint them when I have some time in between other projects.

Same here! I cut my miniature wargaming teeth on BFG, though that was in 2006, well after the game had reached peak popularity.
Love the game
Have not played in over a year

Only a year?! It's been a few for me  :(.

You can still get stuff on eBay, however some of them go for quite a bit of money.  The Tau and Craftworld Eldar in particular can be costly.  I have seen a Yuriel's Flagship go for over $250.  That cuts into my Spartan budget far too deeply.

That's one of the things that I find somewhat encouraging; clearly, the game still has enough of a following to encourage such high prices on eBay. Not only that, but outfits are now doing their own 3rd party minis for the game, like GrimDark Bits:

http://www.shapeways.com/shops/grimdarkbits

So, the game is certainly not completely dead. On life support, perhaps, but not dead! If only GW could recognize a demand signal when it bites the company in the face...

Creon

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2014, 02:58:34 pm »
I have a decent craftworld eldar fleet in the exiled to the storage room area.  Itw as a fun game, too bad GW won't support something that doesn't need new minis purchased every month.

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2014, 08:40:09 pm »
The Craftworld eldar are some lovely models! Did you ever get around to making a Craftworld model to go with them? I remember seeing pictures of one at some point, but I can't remember if it was made by a fan or GW...

Creon

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2014, 09:02:40 pm »
My skills aren't up to that yet.  I'm getting better, but only with rough stuff.  I might work with the new Trek Borg stuff, but since BSG isn't getting played, it's not getting updated.

Ruckdog

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Dive! Dive!
    • View Profile
    • Man Battlestations!
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2014, 09:57:08 pm »
Totally understand...I find it hard to muster the enthusiasm to paint for games I'm not playing, either.

Has anyone here played much with the 2010 update? There were some interesting changes in that one to the way torpedoes work; now, a salvo is always represented by a Strength 3 marker, regardless of the number of torps actually in it. Sort of cuts down on the Str. 9 Imperial Battleship Torpedo Salvo of Doom!

Andrewchristlieb

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2014, 11:19:02 pm »
Cuts down more on the Imperial 36 torpedo linked salvo of doom ;). I've played quite a bit with 2010, switched to it... well about 4 years ago or so.

Iirc back in the day there was an old Seaquest DSV model made into a craftworld... Maybe it was the 2002 Annual....

Here's one from the Spec games site.
I don't make the rules, I just think them up and write them down.